Service Status: On-call | For Emergency Service Click Here or Call 603-623-0412.

LeBlanc HVAC, Plumbing & Electric | Don’t Let Your Fun Go Up In A Flash Flame

Don’t Let Your Fun Go Up In A Flash Flame

Nice weather means boats, motor bikes, lawnmowers, power tools and other equipment powered by gasoline. Be careful. Gasoline vapors are highly combustible and the cause of numerous household tragedies.

Gasoline is intended for use as a motor fuel only.  Unfortunately, too many people also find it useful as a stain remover, to light charcoal grills and for other popular but hazardous purposes.

It is extremely dangerous to use or store gasoline inside the home. Its invisible vapors travel quickly and can be ignited by a single spark from an appliance or even from turning on a light switch.  In particular, never store gasoline anywhere near a water heater (especially an older model) with its constantly burning pilot light.

Use only containers with tight-fitting caps that are designed for gasoline transport and storage. Never use glass, plastic bottles or jugs for gasoline or any other flammable liquid.

Always place the container on the ground before filling and keep the hose nozzle in contact with the container.  Never fill a container while it is in a vehicle.

To safely transport gasoline from a service station to your home in a car, place the container securely in the rear floorboard with a window cracked for ventilation. 

In a truck, secure the container to prevent sliding and open a side or tailgate window.  Remove the container promptly and store it safely out of reach of children, preferably in a locked storage shed or garage.

NEVER keep gasoline stored in a vehicle or your house.