Air conditioning is a process that involves the removal of heat and moisture from the air in a room or building. It works by using a refrigerant, a chemical that can change from a gas to a liquid and back again very easily. The air conditioning process involves several components, including:
- Compressor: The compressor is responsible for compressing the refrigerant gas to a high pressure and temperature.
- Condenser: The hot, high-pressure refrigerant gas then moves to the condenser where it releases heat to the outside environment, causing the refrigerant to condense into a liquid.
- Expansion valve: The expansion valve is a small device that reduces the pressure of the refrigerant liquid, causing it to evaporate into a gas again. This process absorbs heat from the surrounding air, cooling it down.
- Evaporator: The evaporator is where the cold refrigerant gas absorbs heat from the indoor air, cooling it down and causing the moisture in the air to condense into water.
- Fan: A fan blows the cooled air back into the room, while another fan blows the warm air outside.
The process of refrigerant gas being compressed, condensed, expanded, and evaporated continues in a cycle, constantly removing heat and moisture from the indoor air until the desired temperature and humidity level is reached. This cycle is controlled by a thermostat, which turns the air conditioning system on and off as needed to maintain the desired temperature.
The United States Department of Energy has changed the air conditioner and heat pump rating system from SEER, EER and HSPF to SEER2, EER2 and HSPF2. These new ratings better reflect the real-world conditions in which these air conditioners and heat pumps are being installed. Upgrading to an air conditioner or heat pump with the new ratings will help you maximize efficiency and comfort in your home.
Purchase one zone of air conditioning installed for as low as $97 per month. Applies to both ducted and ductless air conditioners. Purchase and install now before the record breaking heat arrives.
Cannot be combined with any other offers. Not available on existing contracts. Additional financing options available for alternative system configurations. Financing only available to those who qualify. Free in home estimate. Limited to a single zone with a max of 3-tons of cooling. Expires 5/1/20.